New electrical meters spark surge of anger

Patrick Malinga says residents of Slovo Park Phase Two are not happy with their new electricity meters. "We have reported the problem to the Metro but are waiting for answers," he says.

Residents living in Slovo Park Phase Two claim their electrical meters don’t allow them to use more than two electrical appliances at once.

Patrick Malinga, a resident, claims the electrical box voltage only allows them to make use of two electrical appliances.

“If the fridge and kettle are on, the voltage doesn’t allow us to use another electrical appliance,” he says.

As soon as the third appliance is switched on, it sets off the trip switch. Malinga claims their problems started when the Metro installed the new electrical meters in their homes.

“I am almost certain the electrical box is the reason why senior citizen Mooi Khoza’s house burned on Thursday,” he says.

The 62-year-old woman lost clothes, blankets and furniture during the fire. Malinga says the fire caused the kitchen and lounge windows to shatter.

The pensioner now needs help because her clothes, bed and curtains were burnt. The material of the lounge suite melted.

“We have had a lot of electrical problems in the past and suspect the fire was due to an electrical fault,” says Malinga.

Residents called for a meeting between them and the metro contractor, after the installation project was completed in March. The residents apparently informed the contractor about their electrical consumption concerns.

“Our electricity consumption is much higher now, which is not fair towards the residents who are mostly unemployed or earn a low income,” says Malinga.

He said he doesn’t understand that the contractor understood their concern at the time, and promised to report the matter to the metro but had not done so.

“However, to date, we have not had any feedback from the contractor or the metro,” says Malinga.

Khoza says people were generous and had donated clothes and blankets as most of her belongings in the house were destroyed. She said she was grateful for their generosity, but did not know how she was going to fix her house.

No comment was received from the metro at the time of publishing.

Connect with us:

Do you have an interesting newsworthy story? Contact the newsroom on 011 812 4800 or send an email to Samantha Keogh (editor) samk@caxton.co.za, Izahn Krige (digital journalist) izahnv@caxton.co.za or Anna Robertson (journalist) annar@caxton.co.za

For the latest breaking news in your community, follow us on Twitter @SpringsNews and like our Facebook page.

For news straight to your phone and daily weather updates, invite Springs Advertiser on WhatsApp by sending a message with your name and surname to 079 408 9334.

To see what we get up to in the newsroom and in town, follow us on Instagram at springs_addie

  AUTHOR
Anna Robertson
Journalist

find your
dream home

looking for an
affordable
apartment

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News

COMMENTS

benonicitytimesboksburgadvertiserbrakpanherald<africanreportergetit Autodealer.co.za
Top
Recommended Story x
Water meter leak saga continues

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

SUBSCRIBE
to our free NEWSLETTER
!
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

African Reporter
Benoni City Times
Boksburg Advertiser
Brakpan Herald
Germiston City News
Springs Advertiser
Tembisan


Your details:


Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)
Other