UPDATE: Third person dies after N17 accident

The driver of this truck sustained serious injuries and had to be transported to hospital for treatment.

Captain Ramphora spokesperson of the SAPS has confirmed that the driver of the truck, which was involved in an accident on the N17 yesterday and was rushed to hospital as a priority one patient, died shortly after being resuscitated.

Four people were seriously injured and six sustained minor injuries.

According to Ramphora, it is understood the truck driver, who was transporting coffins, over took on the barrier lane coming from an easterly direction at a high speed.

Ramphora says it is believed he did not see the two Polos in front of him and, according to him: “The Kia truck that collided with the three light motor vehicles is allegedly the cause of the accident.”
He adds it is believed that the Toyota Avanza driver who was driving towards the east tried to swerved away from the truck and this resulted in the driver losing control of the car.
The truck then collided with the Polo Classic and Avanza.
The four passengers in the Polo Vivo didn’t sustain any injuries.
The road was still closed at around 2pm on Thursday afternoon, causing huge traffic delays on the N17.
A case of culpable homicide has been opened for further investigations.


William Ntladi, spokesperson of the Ekurhuleni Disaster and Emergency Management Services (DEMS) has confirmed that two people have been declared dead on the scene of this morning’s accident on the N17.

Three cars and a truck were involved in a serious collision at 7.30am this morning on the N17 highway at the Wit Road off-ramp.

The highway was closed in both directions.

The three light motor vehicles that collided with each other

Three light motor vehicles, a Volkswagen Polo Classic, Toyota Avanza and Polo Vivo, and a truck collided and landed on the embankment next to the highway.

The drivers of the Avanza and Polo Classic were declared dead on scene and were trapped inside their vehicles.

“The driver of the truck was rushed to hospital as a priority one patient in critical condition as he thrown out of the vehicle,” Ntladi says.

Seven passengers, from the three vehicles, sustained serious injuries and were transported by ambulance to Sunshine Hospital in Benoni for further assessment and care.

“All passengers who were rushed to hospital sustained fractures, they are in serious but stable condition.”

The four passengers in the Polo Vivo didn’t sustain any injuries.

“We have not yet to establish what occurred,” says Ntladi

Netcare 911 paramedics, Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department (EMPD), DEMS and Gauteng Traffic Department responded to the accident.

Palesa Mokhitli

Latest News


Next Story x
Business treats epilepsy residents