Sewerage problem now in its fifth year

Stock image

Sean Wallace first reported the problem on November 22, 2013, when a metro team was allegedly sent out to inspect the sewer line.

He claims the team informed him at the time that they did not have the necessary tools to repair the problem.

According to the metro’s email sent to Wallace, their team hired a Jet-vac machine to open the sewer blockage allegedly caused by rocks which had been thrown into the pipe line.

When he noticed the sewer was still flowing at the end of May 2014, Wallace logged another complaint.

He followed up at regular intervals. He reported the problem again on July 31, 2014.

He claims he never received any feedback on any of the emails he sent to the metro.

“The sewer is still flowing freely outside the pipes,” he says.

Wallace wants to know what is going on and adds there are now manholes without lids.

When he received feedback from the metro on August 8, 2014, he sincerely hoped there would be a solution to the problem.

Although the email read they would report back on the problem on the same day, he claims he never received any feedback.

Then on August 11, 2014, Wallace received another email stating the metro was designing a concrete block which would soon be put to the test.

“When I saw no concrete blocks being replaced in Reier Road, I emailed the metro again on June 1, 2015, and again no one responded,” says Wallace.

On May 21, 2017, his backyard was once again filled with sewage.

“The problem is ongoing and has never been solved. Illegal mining is apparently to blame,” he says.

According to Wallace he received another email on Jun 7, which claimed there are illegal mining activities at the Daggafontein sewer line.

The email states: “We need to inspect the line once again and determine where to install the lockable lid on existing manholes.”

Wallace says by this time, four years later, a crust had formed at the sewer line and he reported this to the metro as well.

He kept all the reference numbers allocated to the complaints.

On July 7, he was informed the metro will “send a team to break the crust formed at the sewer line and inspect the line for prevention.”

To date the sewer line is still overflowing.

Wallace says it annoys him that the metro cannot come up with a solution to this ongoing problem.

Despite questions sent to the metro more than a week ago, they failed to comment at the time of going to print.

  AUTHOR
Anna Robertson
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Recommended Story x
Sewage woes in Dersley

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

African Reporter
Benoni City Times
Boksburg Advertiser
Brakpan Herald
Germiston City News
Springs Advertiser
Tembisan


Your details:


Your friends: