7th oldest chamber
The Eastern Gauteng Chamber of Commerce and Industry (EGCCI) will celebrate its 100th AGM on March 16.
It has a proud history of offering its members – large and small – myriad services to make running a business in our town hassle-free.
This Page Is Proudly Brought To You By
Its main purpose is to act as the voice of its members.
What does the chamber do?
- It provides:
- Host services;
- Business networking opportunities;
- Hosts forums for loggying, service delivery and knowledge transfer; and
- Works tirelessly to make Eastern Gauteng a prefferred location for commerce and industry.
Services provided by the chamber:
- Issuing of certificates of origin;
- Certification of documents for FICA purposes;
- Discovery Medical Aid for small businesses;
- Publication of a business directory;
- Letters of introduction for trading;
- Helping to establish your business in East Gauteng; and
- SACCI reports on the economy and legislation that may affect your business.
EGCCI highlights include:
- The Springs Chamber of Commerce (SCC) was established in 1917 and is the seventh oldest chamber in the country.
- G Sizer was the first elected president and held office until 1923.
- 47 dedicated individuals have held office, drawn for senior management within Springs’ commercial and industrial sectors.
- In 1950, the SCC was the first in the country to welcome and incorporate the growing number of local industrial companies.
- During his tenure in the ’60s, Lu Sher was elected president of the Association of Commerce, now the South African Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- In 1987 the Springs Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCI) became the second city in the country to establish a business watch.
- 2009 saw the SCCI expand its geographical boundaries to incorporate Brakpan and Nigel and was renamed EGCCI.